Coyotes sightings are a common occurrence in Mississauga and Surrounding areas.
Animal Services staff and Dispatch have been instructed if they receive a call to attend to ensure safety of park users and to educate. The presence of dogs will be highly agitating to the coyote and it will be stressed if defending a denning mate or pups so it should not be hazed or this will escalate the behaviour.
Here is what you should do should you encounter a coyote in one of the LFM Dog Parks:
· Simply back off and control dogs from running and barking at the coyote should help de-escalate.
· Keep dogs leashed until they are inside the enclosure.
· Stay out in the open. Stay away from bushes and shubs
· Don’t allow dogs to engage with the coyote by barking or chasing through the fence.
· Control dogs and back off.
· Call Animal Services if the coyote won’t leave.
Mississauga Animal Services
735 Central Parkway West
Mississauga, ON L5C 4H4
Monday to Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday and Holidays: Closed
Important Telephone Numbers
3-1-1 or 905-615-4311
Emergencies, animal rescue 905-896-5858
After hours 905-615-3000